- "The pain was so intense, so all-consuming, that he no longer knew where he was ... white-hot knives were piercing every inch of his skin, his head was surely going to burst with pain; he was screaming more loudly than he had ever screamed in his life - "
The Cruciatus Curse (Crucio) is a curse that can be used to induce intense pain in the victim. Prolonged exposure to the curse can drive the victim into insanity, from which they will never recover. The spell will also work on animals, such as spiders.
The book Confronting the Faceless provides at least three paragraphs of information on the Cruciatus Curse, on page two hundred and thirteen, which Professor Severus Snape made his sixth year class read.
In the 1997-1998 school year, the Defence Against the Dark Arts curriculum included the use of the Cruciatus Curse on those who had received detentions. Neville Longbottom received a very deep wound after he refused to participate due to his parents having been tortured into insanity with the curse.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Notes & ReferencesEdit
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Chapter Thirty-Three - The Death Eaters)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Chapter Thirty-Four - Priori Incantatem)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Chapter Fourteen - The Unforgivable Curses)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Twenty-Eight - Christmas on the Closed Ward)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Chapter Twenty-One - The Unknowable Room)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Chapter Twenty-Nine - The Lost Diadem)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Missing Mirror)